Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY Pez Children's Decor/Idea

This is so easy, I am almost ashamed to post a "DIY" about it.

My nephew's birthday party is coming up and he has a Super Hero theme.  I was in the Dollar Store (obviously one of my favorite stores) and I saw these super hero PEZ dispensers.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them at first but I felt a craft urge tingle at the back of my spine and I bought one of each of the ones they had available. 

When I got home, I looked around and found some wood plaques (which would work and those are available at any craft store or Wal-Mart), but I decided to go with canvas.  You can find canvases at any Wal-mart in the craft section or any craft specialty store.  The one I used here was an 8x10 and I purchased it for about $3.

What you will need:
--PEZ (any amount size or style you wish)
--Something to mount your PEZ on (canvas, wood plaque, or even a frame would look really nice)
--Hot Glue Gun
--Acrylic Paint (not necessary if you use a frame)
--Foam Letters (optional)


STEP ONE:
Paint your the area that you wish to mount your PEZ dispensers on the color of your choice.  I bought a big bag of foam letters (approximately 330 pieces) for about $2.50 from Michael's Craft Store.  It lasts forever and it is a good investment if you are wanting to do a lot of crafts in the future.  The problem is that they are in a variety of colors and I wanted them to all be the same.  So I painted them!  This will take several coats but acrylic paint dries fast. 

STEP TWO:
Once your paint has dried place your PEZ dispensers on the area which you are wanting to place them to measure where you would like to put any extra details.  I added comic book style speech bubbles so I could put the names of the Super Heroes in. 




I removed the PEZ dispensers so I could finish painting the speech bubbles with ease.  Because I was using a lighter color on top of a darker on, I had to use several coats.


After the speech bubbles dried, I used some small rubber stamps that I had bought on clearance at Wal-mart to put the Super Hero's in the speech bubbles.  Stamps are not a requirement.  A sharpie would work just as well.  I used a sharpie to trace the bubbles.  If you mess up, you can always re-paint but be warned it may take several more coats to cover up the black.  Be patient!






I originally painted my letters yellow, but decided I wanted a more "newsprint" look to it.  This is the beauty of acrylic paint.  You can change your mind as often as you want!


STEP THREE:
Hot glue your PEZ dispensers and letters in place.


DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment